The International Law Division (ILD) of the Department of Justice is going to organise a seminar on 17 October, 2017 (Tuesday) as detailed below.
Members of The Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong are invited to attend.
Topic: Seminar on UN Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG) – Benefits and Challenges in Implementation to Common Law Jurisdictions
Speaker: Mr José Angelo Estrella Faria, Senior Legal Officer and Head, Technical Assistance Section of United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL)
Date: 17 October 2017 (Tuesday)
Time: 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm
Venue: Function Hall, 1/F, Main Wing, Justice Place, 18 Lower Albert Road, Central, Hong Kong.
14:45-15:00 Registration15:00-16:00 Speech by Mr José Angelo Estrella Faria, Senior Legal Officer and Head, Technical Assistance Section of UNCITRAL
- Brief introduction of UNCITRAL
- General overview of CISG:
- Object and purpose
- Adoption status
- Adoption and implementation of CISG in common law jurisdictions
- Comparison of CISG provisions with general contract law under the English common law system
- Ways of ensuring uniform interpretation
- Examples of actual experiences of common law Contracting States (e.g. Australia, Singapore and Fiji)
16:00-16:10 Comment by Professor Anselmo Reyes, University of Hong Kong
16:10-16:30 Qs & As